Steph's Life

Hi, I'm Steph and I wanted a blog so I could journal my life. I haven't done that in about 8 years, so I really need to get busy. Comment on my stuff. Enjoy.

12/18/2006

Power Outage Adventure

Wow - we've had an awesome week. Hurricane-force winds and rain on Thursday night took out the power to 1,000,000 people. We had a tree fall and take down a power line in our neighborhood. What a mess. I've never heard wind like that before and being in the new house I didn't know what to expect. Half a tree came down in our neighbors yard - it sounded like the whole tree was coming down on top of us. Two families in our ward had trees come through their roof, one in the kitchen and one in their baby's room. They had to dig their baby out of her crib underneath the wallboard. But we are well taken care of - I'm married to the Ultimate Boy Scout. He is prepared for anything, and this week has put it to the test. I feel so blessed to have lots of food, wood for the fireplace, 2 generators, gas to run them, gas to drive our cars, propane for my Coleman stove, kerosene to run our big heater, and hot water. My husband is amazing. We drove over to a couple home building sites yesterday and stocked up on wood from their scrap piles. We got 2 truck loads of it and now have a nice reserve pile for the fireplace! So even after the power comes back, we can have big fires in the living room.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:57 PM , Blogger LuckyRedHen said...

    Um, aren't some of those woods treated with chemicals and burning them could be deadly? I don't want you dying, okay?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home